Thursday 31st August 2023 | 09.00 - 12.30
- Science Communication Workshop: Scientific Posters and Visual Abstracts – engaging visual messages for a quick pace world
Session 1: Scientific Poster. How do I do it?
Speaker: Diana Vieira da Silva, Portugal
Visual Communication strategies in scientific posters.
On this session, the attendees will:
- recognize the importance of designing a clear and communicable scientific poster;
- understand and apply simple good practices during the production of a scientific poster.
Session 2: The Visual Abstract. What is it and how do I do it?
Speaker: Ana Rita Baptista, Portugal
Journals are increasingly requesting the submission of a graphical or visual abstract alongside the body of the article. This should be a single figure which captures the main take home message and concepts explored in the paper. Moreover, visual abstracts are increasingly used to promote scientific articles on social media, which is something to keep an eye on!
On this Session, the attendees should:
- recognize the importance of visual abstracts in communication and dissemination of science.
- know why and how their paper/research can benefit from a visual abstract, even when it is not mandatory for a journal submission.
- understand and apply journal-specific rules and general visual rules for a great and effective Visual Abstract.
Important notes for registered or interested participants:
- Each delegate must bring their own laptop to the workshop equipped with PowerPoint software,
or any other digital equipment or software that allows the elaboration of a scientific poster.
- Preferably, the attendee should know this software to get the most out of the session.
- Additionally, each participant should bring to the workshop an example of a scientific poster they have previously authored or co-authored to be used as a reference for the hands-on experience.
Thursday 31st August 2023 | 14.00 - 14.45
- Digital Gross Photography in Anatomic Pathology Workshop
Speaker: Lluis Lujan, Facultad Veterinaria Universidad de Zaragoza,Spain
This one-hour workshop will briefly describe the basic principles of digital photography of gross specimens. Through examples from real cases, delegates will get tips and tricks on how to photograph gross specimens and prepare images to create high-quality pictures for their next article or lecture.